Monday, January 22, 2007

Being Pro-Choice

In the spirit of activism, I am doing my part to support a woman's right to choose. Happy Blog for Choice Day.

The one thing that has always disturbed me about the pro-life stance is that it never addresses the quality of the potential life. In fact, the same people who tend to hold up pictures of aborted fetuses outside clinics are usually the types who line up to "flip the switch" when an inmate is executed. Generally, these folks vote against programs to help fund education and other community outreach initiatives. So, the general message is: After we "save your life," you're on your own! In my opinion, if a woman decides to terminate a pregnancy because of her economic situation, she is being responsible. And if the pro-lifer types (who typically object to welfare and the raising of taxes) were honest with themselves, they would agree with this.

Pro-lifers believe that pro-choicers feel that human life is disposable. I think of it in just the opposite way. A human life is an investment. If that life doesn't have a responsible, dedicated parent or set of parents supporting it, then the odds are not in the child's favor. This feels more disposable to me.

Even though abortion is still safe and legal in this country, this right is is always threatened. It is highly unlikely that it will ever be overturned, but it makes me uneasy knowing that there are plenty of politicians and corporations who try to chisel away at it. If Roe vs. Wade is ever reversed, I can guarantee that back alley abortions will take the lives of desperate girls everywhere. Do you want this to happen to your daughter?

Lastly, I object to the taboo and stigma that abortion attaches to the women who obtain them. Women not only have to make the difficult decision, but women are also the ones who are left with this karmic "stain" on their souls. I wish there wasn't such judgment and scrutiny cast upon these women. While I certainly understand those special cases in which women use the practice as a means of birth control, these instances are rare by comparison. Yet, all women who get abortions, despite their reasons, are treated the same way. Doesn't seem fair.


Blog for Choice Day - January 22, 2007

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really well said. I agree completely.

January 22, 2007 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Jere said...

Okay, first he reads my post, then he sees your coment on it, goes to your blog, reads your opinion, and is all nice about it. Then he reads my opinion, and calls it "shit." What the crap?

January 24, 2007 at 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I felt your argument was poorly reasoned, where hers was very well written.

Nothing personal. You seem to be taking this a little too seriously :)

January 24, 2007 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ok, y'all, take it outside ...

January 24, 2007 at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home