Friday, March 23, 2007

Polish Need Not Apply

In doing some research for a project I am working on, I found out that 5 million non-Jewish people were executed during WWII, under Hitler's command. 100,000 of these people were killed in Auschwitz alongside the Jews. I remember my grandmother telling me that a lot of Polish Christians died during the Holocaust, but I always thought she was exaggerating. The ones they didn't kill were put into labor camps. Many of those imprisoned were forced to make artillery for the Germans to be used in the war. If a Polish child looked "Arian," he was likely to be snatched up by the Germans and handed over to a German family to be raised. The child's mother was usually killed.

(Note from the author: With all due respect and sensitivity, I am not taking anything at all away from the 6 million Jewish people who lost their lives so devastatingly during the Holocaust. As someone with Polish Christian roots, I find it hard to believe that I am just finding out, for the first time in my 35 years of living, that there were 2-3 million Polish Christians killed, also.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home