Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I'm finally writing a baseball blog post.

The Yankees acquired Anthony Keitis (who Jere and I call Teixeira), CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett. And to this I say: Big deal.

Teixeira is a fine player. Good numbers. Gold glove. But, lest we forget - the man plays first base. My grandmother could get a gold glove at first base (sorry if I am offending anyone here). That's where DH's go in NL parks. That's where tired short stops go. That's where they put Giambi, for heaven's sake. I actually like not having to give up Mike Lowell. I think another decent year could be squeezed out of the guy if he is healthy. Plus, I would like to see his famous hidden ball trick at long last! So, our infield stays in tact and I'm not upset about it (so long as they go with "Jed instead"). I'm also glad that Lucchino and Henry stood firm against Boras. Screw Scott Boras. I hate that guy. He is single-handily ruining baseball. Both Jere and I agree that it would have been nice to see Keitis go to Baltimore. That would have been a good lift for the birds. Plus, that's where he's from, anyway (Teixeira, not Anthony Keitis).

Truth be told, CC Sabathia is more than a little hefty. He's going to run out of steam. They've got him for 7 long years, too. They are going to have to put him on a diet. Actually, (out of the 3 newbies) he's probably the player who will make the most difference for them in terms of their chances of making the playoffs.

And A.J. Burnett doesn't scare me at all. It is very likely that he will wind up on the DL early/ often. He might be an A.J. Burden to some teams, but the Yankees can afford to sign Carl Pavanos like that.

I think we need to get a good number 4 starter (Sorry, Buchholz). And I'm not talking about getting Derek Lowe back. His sinker is nasty when he's got it. But when he doesn't, he cries on the mound. I don't want that. You don't want that. Nobody wants that. I like the guy ok. I enjoy being surprised by his height every time I see him in person, but that's about it. Also, when are we going to think about getting a back up for our number 5 starter? Wake is not going to fossilize on that mound or anything. He's going to weaken eventually and this could really be the year. We need 2 decent starters to back up Wake and Buchholz.

And I say we sign the Captain for a couple more years, then he and Wake can retire and become the new Dennis Eckersley and Louis Tiante. If Wakefield had a little kiosk on Yawkey way, what kind of food do you think he would sell? "Regular guy" cuisine. Whatever that it. Something totally non-adventurous. He could call it, "No Condiments" or something. His tag line could be: "How would you like a knuckle sandwich?"

We spent the last couple of days in Northampton, which was relaxing and fun, as always. I was disappointed to learn that they converted what I thought was a government building into an Urban Outfitters. I think I am officially done with UO now. This was the last straw. Especially since they are taking serious business away from Faces, which is an independent UO type of operation a few doors down. Not cool, UO!

The Celtics! The Celtics! The Celtics! 19 wins in a row! I am in awe. Can't wait for the Christmas match up with the Lakers. I hope Jack Nicholson cries in his eggnog. I'm sure he'll cancel whatever critical plans he has that day to be courtside for this one. What an a-hole that guy is.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

Hello Kim...I've been a longtime reader of Jere's blog but this is my first time here. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Your thoughts on the Sox are spot on, too. I saw Jere and his mom at the West Hartford Public Library...I think I was the only other Red Sox blogger there, but it was a great turnout and so many books were sold. I had already read the galley and enjoyed it.
May you and Jere be happy forever. He's one of the good guys. And I love seeing pics of your tabby cats. The big guy reminds me so much of mine. He and his brother are gone now, but they're always in my heart.
Enjoy the holidays! Peter

December 25, 2008 at 2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home