Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wednesday Stuff

There were 2 moments yesterday at which I forgot that it was September 11th. I feel pretty rotten about that. In one case, I was in the kitchen making pizza and I heard the word "firefighters" come from the television during last night's pre-game ceremony. I walked into the living room and asked if they were honoring the 2 firemen who died in a recent West Roxbury fire. Jere looked at me and said, "Uh, no. It's September 11th." Yikes. This would never have happened if they did what I said and made 9/11 a federal holiday. I'd be willing to swap out Columbus Day or President's Day for it. Wouldn't you?

Moving on.

Though Wake wasn't proverbially "on" last night, the Sox offense was able to take the Devil Rays all the way down town. I am glad that Drew made some decent contact (finally). The kids just keep on hitting. They are so much fun to watch. Coco's been pretty consistent since late July. Funny how no one sings that guy's praises, but they can't wait to complain about him when his game isn't so hot. I hate Boston fans, man.



On Sunday night, we checked out Pleaseeasaur and Neil Hamburger at the Middle East - Upstairs. I saw Hamburger at the same venue last year (probably right around this time, too). Check out Jere's review of the show. I would only add that I haven't seen anything as hysterical as Pleaseeasaur in a very long time. It's rare that I wind up crying from laughing so hard. They perform a song called "I Hate Dog Shit" that's seems like a public service announcement of some kind, but it just gets weirder and weirder as the song goes on. The lyrics are pretty funny, but it's the execution and brilliant performance by Pleaseeasaur that totally got me. The one liners, the mullet wig, the abominable snow man costume, the bad hair news anchor get up - all priceless. Do yourself a favor and check our their stuff.

So, get this. The woman who tried to create the Willy Wonka Smellovision experience is trying to get this out to a wider audience. Okay, as I said, this was a very gallant effort on her part and I totally respect her hard work and dedication to the cause, but I hope she changes up her strategy, because, as I pointed out after we attended one of her experimental presentations, all we ended up smelling was mustard and cigarettes. There was just no way the smells were going to reach people in an outdoor setting when there are mere dabs of stuff on poster board sheets being waved around. Don't be afraid of the smells, lady! Really douse those things before you wave them around. Unless she was going for mustard and cigarettes. In which case, I take it all back.

How about those Patriots, huh? I never thought that crew would sink to that level. I am not a huge fan of football (there's only room for 1 professional sport in my life, though I've been trying to squeeze basketball in these last few seasons), but I've lost a lot of respect for the Pats. You know that non-Patriot fans across the country are totally stoked.

In softball news, we play game 6 tonight in Newton. I think I am well enough to play. I am about to hydrate myself to the gills.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home