Monday, October 29, 2007

Soap Make Me Happy


I love soap. I love buying soap. I love using soap. And I love making soap. At this point, it's just a hobby. I make soap for certain holidays, take it into work and sell it. I also give it away as gifts. I've recently made apple cinnamon, orange, peppermint, grapefruit, and lime. I use the "melt and pour" method, which is sort of soapmaking for dummies. I plan to make the leap to cold process soapmaking very, very soon. I have a billion ideas for scents, additives, textures and molds. I am always inspired when I go to LUSH, which is one of the finest contemporary soap businesses (of course, they make cosmetics and other body products). Their colors are vivid, their bars are chunky, and they don't skimp on one single thing. I really love their all-or-nothing approach. Going into LUSH is a treat for all senses. They really understand the importance of the consumer experience. It's very much like going to your favorite coffee house. You can make a cup of coffee at home for a few pennies, but you don't get the heavenly coffee smells, the temptations behind the glass, and the Husker Du. So, you are willing to fork over 3 or 4 dollars for a mug of really aromatic French roast. A good soapmaking business approach is one where the consumer feels as though he or she is getting a really special thing. And like cafe latte, soap is an affordable indulgence.

I am always enchanted by ORIGINS. The whole "spa freshness" element is irresistible. You feel as though you are being transported to a tranquil, happy place. Every thing is natural and wonderful and pampery. And yeah, I guess 20 bucks for a bottle of hand lotion seems steep when you compare it to St. Ives or whatever, but you are going to love using every last drop of your ORIGINS product. You won't take any of it for granted. I feel the same way about AVEDA, but I am not going to get fooled into buying a 50 dollar bottle of conditioner. Sorry.

So, there are officially 4 things I want to accomplish in the next 3 years:

1. Buy a house in western Massachusetts
2. Start a legitimate soapmaking business
3. Write my grandmother's memoir
4. Finish the painting series I started a year ago

Not necessarily in this order.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger the marriedtobrooklyn.com team said...

when you accomplish number one..we just might be neighbors....and you are so totally right... it's just pennies a wash for a really expensive soap -that you know you are going to LOVE... i am so down with that....

October 29, 2007 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Seriously? Where? I am eying Northampton.

October 29, 2007 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger DJDiva said...

I love Lush! that place is the best. Make sure to promote your soaps on your blog - I'll be sure to try some!

October 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I definitely will!

October 30, 2007 at 3:57 AM  
Blogger the marriedtobrooklyn.com team said...

seriously! not quite sure... we are starting to scout out potential relocation spots for the biz.... stay tuned!

October 30, 2007 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home