Saturday, January 31, 2009

Good News and Not So Good News

The good news is, as of January 1st, I started working Fridays again. My mother's cancer is being managed well and she is stable enough, at this point, where I felt safe enough working 5 days (I took Fridays off to be with her, do stuff around the house, and give her husband a break). I was looking forward to the extra pay, too, since we just bought a house last summer and there are additional bills to pay.

The bad news is, my company isn't doing so hot. We just got word yesterday of some really drastic measures they are having to take to ride out this shitty economy. For me, this results in a 5% pay cut and losing my full time employee status. Everyone in the company will lose this status, too, except for directors. So, basically, if there isn't a project waiting for me when the one I am currently working on ends, I will be out of a job. This could happen as soon as March 15th. I am still far better off than a lot of people. My company is a wonderful, caring and highly ethical organization. They are doing everything possible to soften this as much as possible for everyone. I've heard some horror stories. Right before Christmas, the bank shut down a very large national developer and there hadn't been any notice to their employees whatsoever. People came to work and were greeted with locked doors. Can you imagine?

So, now I have to make some decisions. If I file for unemployment, we won't lose the house. But, we won't really be able to live without dipping into savings. We might have to get rid of one car, too. This isn't the end of the world, my any means. We don't have kids to provide for, so I am not really panicking. I am just in this bizarre place, professionally. I always wanted my current employer, whom I love, to be the last place I worked before going full time with Stella Marie. I am wondering if maybe this could be an opportunity in disguise. Part of me just wants to go nuts building my business. Truth be told, I would have to dig really deep to find enthusiasm for project management again. Plus, no one is really hiring right now. My heart says, KICK OUT THE SOAP, MOTHER F*CKER and my head says, "Go buy a new suit and polish off your resume."

Thank goodness I have a month and a half to live with this information. And who knows? A new project might come along come mid-March.

Meanwhile, George Bush sleeps oh so soundly.

2 Comments:

Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

I'm sorry to hear that this dumb ass, preventable recession has interrupted another life on this planet. Makes me furious but am happy to hear that you have choices and a great attitude about it.

If I were you, I'd:

-File for unemployment
-Apply to a zillion jobs a day
-Get stabilized financially
-Set a time table for when/how to leave the next job and start your biz!

That way you can have both - monetary stability and an action plan to follow your heart and do the business.

PS- Go mom!

February 3, 2009 at 3:34 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

Kick out the soap! It is your career in the making.

February 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home