Sunday, May 24, 2009

I Don't Get This

You have probably heard about Etsy.com, the online indie market. It's huge and wonderful, filled with amazing, handmade items - stuff you could never find at your local Target, CVS or Newbury Comics.

When you join the zillions of people selling their goods on Etsy, you really have to work hard to get noticed. You have to join forums and have showcases and who knows what else. It is a very competitive place. I'd rather direct people to my own web site, but I do get an occassional, unexpected sale on Etsy which is always nice. What I find to be a real shame when I peruse the other soap stores on Etsy is how an AMAZING soap maker like Ladybug Soapworks can have less than 100 sales while a hack "soap maker" can enjoy hundreds of sales. I am not going to mention any names, but I am speaking, generally, about people who have crummy photography and who use the melt & pour technique without any real creative element (I have seen some people make stunning soaps using melt & pour, but it is not the norm and the average person can't appreciate the difference between melt & pour and a lovely, handmade soap from scratch).

Etsy. It's a jungle out there.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

I'm curious now. What is an example of a super duper high end, 100% natural, from scratch soap and what is a rip off version?

You can e-mail me the answer if you like. (As long as you feel comfortable sharing...)

I'm wondering if I would fall for it.

May 24, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I will email you. Don't want to get a bad rep in the soap world.

May 24, 2009 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Joanna Schmidt said...

Sh. I'm with you, Kim.

July 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home