Wednesday, May 21, 2008

True Gibberish

I am going to make a horrible mother someday because I will actually take my child out of a quiet public area if he or she is screaming their head off. Or I will at least apologize to those around me. Over the weekend, I went to the laundromat. There, a lovely woman and her 3 children were waiting for their clothes to dry. The eldest girl was nicely behaved. The middle child was borderline and the little boy was a maniac. Now, let me first say that I understand that being in a laundromat is not fun for a child. It's not fun for an adult, either. I remember going with my mother when I was about 5 or 6 when we were renting an apartment, and then again when I was about 10 or 11 when our washer and dryer crapped out. As a tot, I passed the time by studying the coffee vending machine and making spiders out of plastic cups by ripping the sides into strips. When I was 11, I just read Circus magazine and fantasized about having Def Leppard over our house for dinner. I was occupied and I stayed out of people's hair.

This little boy was obviously looking for something to do. Heck, it was a sunny day and here he was with his mom and sisters, stuck in a big building filled with smells of hot fabric and detergent. Can you blame the child for running around, jumping in front of people, screaming at the highest decibels known to man and slapping all the chairs in the laundromat many times over? And can you blame the child's poor mother for somehow drowning out the noise and acting completely unaffected by the display? If you answered no to both questions, then you certainly can't blame me for whipping out my iPod, adjusting the volume to "eleven" and filling my ears with Megadeath, Metallica, and The Cult while perusing my Real Simple magazine.

Society. Ugh.

The Celtics shined last night at the Garden. And Ray Allen actually made one of free throws! The clear plastic face masks that some players wear really freaks me out.

So, I am wondering - what's your ultimate symbol or icon from the 1970s? There are so many to choose from, I know. Banana seated bikes with metallic handle bars are my latest fave, along with Love's Baby Soft and "pull off" soda can tabs. I also liked Ginger's sparkly dress on Gilligan's Island. I always wanted an occasion to wear a dress like that.

In real estate news: We are pre-approved! It's official! I really can't wait to start looking at places on Sunday. This is so exciting!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger DJDiva said...

I don't think it's bad to take the child out of a public area if they are acting crazy. Now maybe it's because I don't have kids yet... when I was a kid and misbehaved in public my parents threatened to take me outside, the warning of that was enough to get me back in line.

I was at a restaurant once with 3 friends (all moms) and this kid at the table next to ours screamed the entire meal. and I mean screamed. I was almost to the point of saying something to the family - when the dad turns and says 'sorry he's so crazy tonight, we are trying to eat quickly' ok that's nice to apologize. but take him outside. get the food to go. something. why should the entire restaurant suffer? my friends then say 'oh no worries we barely noticed -we all have kids' and he says 'oh great then!' - not *all* of us do.

Apparently when a woman becomes a mom they learn how to ignore the blood curdling screams and craziness.

May 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I've seen parents take their children out of public spaces and apologize. I've talked to parents who claim to do it and they tell me that it's very frustrating to spend time with other parents who aren't as conscientious. Because then their kids say stuff like, "But so-and-so doesn't have to leave" or "So-and-so can do it, why can't I?" It's very awkward to explain someone else's bad parenting skills to your own child.

The irony is that you would be seen as a bad person if you politely excused yourself from the table during the child's outbursts. No matter how nice and discreet you were. I guess it's worse to be intolerant of bad behavior than to try and control it.

What's wrong with people?

May 23, 2008 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home