Monday, July 14, 2008

Dirty Water - A Red Sox Mystery


I am lucky to know such talented people. I just posted about my musical friends, Leeny and Steve, and I thought I would take this opportunity to acquaint you with Dirty Water: A Red Sox Mystery. My boyfriend (Red Sox blogger, Jere Smith) and his mom (accomplished mystery novelist, Mary-Ann Tirone Smith) co-authored this gem and since I have an obvious bias, I won't attempt to create a review. I probably wouldn't do it justice. But I will say that if you enjoy mysteries and baseball, this book should be on your future reading list (particularly if you are a fan of the Boston Red Sox). You can pre-order a copy on Amazon by going here.

Reviews are just starting to come in. Here are a few snippets:

"Dirty Water takes us inside the Sox clubhouse and out into the neighborhood around baseball's little green chapel. Having spent far too many hours pacing that pavement, I can verify that Mary-Ann Tirone Smith and Jere Smith know the territory. This one's fun for mystery fans and Sox fans, and even more so if you're both."
- Stewart O'Nan, Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season (written in collaboration with Stephen King)

"These authors know Boston, they know baseball, and they definitely know the Red Sox. Real-life Red Sox players walk out of the clubhouse and right onto the pages of this murder mystery--along with bloggers, bad guys, and Boston's finest. An essential addition to any true fan's bookshelf."
- Melinda Boroson, author, 86 Years: The Legend of the Boston Red Sox

"To truly enjoy this extremely clever novel and its extra-innings ending, it helps if you are a fan of the Boston Red Sox, intimately familiar with Boston's Fenway neighborhood and conversant with the online practice of blogging.

But should you strike out on these topics, never mind. The book is still a good read and, let's face it, in Vermont and the rest of New England (otherwise known as Red Sox Nation) most readers will have at least some knowledge of the team and therefore an appreciation of its recent (and long-awaited) success on the diamond.

And, as a bonus, David "Big Papi" Ortiz, the team's superstar slugger and larger-than-life personality, adds a bit of zest to a plot that's already as tricky and slick as an unassisted triple play."

Check out frequent updates on the book blog, here.

*Editor's Note: In my original post, I wrote that Nora's last name was Ocala. Why? Because I'm an idiot. Clearly. Ocala is where she lives in Florida, but I completely misread this, looking at her profile information on her blog. What can I say? I don't know Florida all that well. My apologies!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm pre-ordering now! And hey, thanks for the shameless Leeny and Steve plug! You're a good kid;)

July 14, 2008 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

I just thought that was my new nickname! Nora Ocala.... I think I like it!

July 15, 2008 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger -WGM said...

wow, that is so cool! I am going to order one for my whole family of Red Sox Fans who live in enemy territory (Tampa area, NYC) :-)

July 15, 2008 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ilene - You are welcome! Your CD is way cool and pretty much sells itself. A hip new kid's clothing boutique opened up across the street from Sound Bites. It's called "Twinkle Star." I think they could use your CDs in their store! Let me know if you would like me to play "sales person" for you.

Nora - Hee, hee. It does have a funky ring to it, doesn't it? Your review was awesome! You should think about doing this - I think you have natural talent!

mypet$aver - Do it! Do it! You won't regret it!

July 15, 2008 at 7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home