Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stuck in the Middle with No One

I always gravitate toward the places no one really goes. I like the products that get discontinued. I enjoy the television shows that get canned. I spent a good part of my youth listening to Rush. Enough said.

I cut mammals out of my diet several years ago. There is no label for this other than pollo-pescetarian or whatever. Last year, I cut out birds. Now, I am strictly pescetarian. This is comfortable for me, at this point in time. I might take this to another place some day, I don't know. But try explaining that to the rest of the world.

Mammal eaters tend not to respect anyone who cuts meat out of their diet. Some are very hostile about it. A few people I consider to be really good friends have made me feel ashamed for choosing to avoid them.

Vegetarians think I'm nuts. And they actually get mad at pescetarians because a lot of us tend to label ourselves vegetarians. I don't know why. We aren't vegetarians. I've heard that for some people, it's just easier that way. Otherwise, you have to keep pamphlets at the ready, explaining it.

I think that the poor vegans are never satisfied with their own veganism, let alone considering anyone else's dietary choices. It's not easy to be vegan and I respect those who accept this lifestyle and make this commitment.

People who know me realize that I am easy like Sunday morning. I really, really, really hate being preached to. Really. Really, really, really hate it. I try very hard not to preach. Even when it's very good information and done with the best of intentions, in a loving way. I cringe when people use their celebrity status to tell the world how wrong they are about something. I listen to NPR, I am informed, I make my own decisions. I am an only child, so I spent quite enough time feeling lousy about myself. I don't need to be scolded, browbeaten or shunned by society. I just wish we could all do our thing without judgement or criticism. If I brush my teeth standing on my head, it's because I want to. I am aware that my blood is rushing to my brain and that this might not be the best way to do it, but this is my preference so leave me alone.

Of course, I have to go and choose a diet that confuses most of the world. It makes perfect sense to me, but we are so caught up in all of our labels. I'm a [fill in the blank] are you a [fill in the blank]? I use them because I have to, but I think it's stupid. What if I wanted to be vegan, but still eat fish? This is actually a very appealing idea to me, but, unfortunately, I would be fucking with the whole order of things and we can't have that.

Completely unrelated: I am so very disappointed that the Red Sox didn't make it to the WS, but they played their hearts out and walked away with dignity (as opposed to losing in 5). I will be paying attention to the WS, but not hanging on every pitch. I've got lots of soap to make an whatnot.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

Bottom line: everyone has to do what is right for them and of course, that changes for most people over time.

The whole vegan thing is pretty crazy because our society gives us little to nothing to make this transition easy. It's downright stupid to go vegan if you live in some hicksville town with literally nothing around. What are you going to do? Mail order all of your food? I am realistic when it comes to this. It disappoints me greatly but I accept that even if someone is on board with veganism in principle that sometimes it just can't be executed pending on your geographic location. (Anything else is just excuses! RAWR! Haha Just kidding!)

Also, if I were vegan and not with Anthony -- I would be a miserable SOB living in CT without convenience vegan eats around to make up for my lack of hating cooking. I would be unhealthy and a stupid vegan. But Anthony prepares delish food that is very wholesome for us. I never feel like I'm lacking anything because of this combined with his amazing non-dairy baking skills. I really don't miss a thing! Plus, your taste buds change with time. I used to think soy whip tasted like ass from a freezer but now I love it.

I also used to LOATHE soy yogurt. Now I look forward to it every day.

I'm rambling but I like that you do your own thing; truly. I'm so much drawn to someone with a unique perspective or interests. So I'd rather be friends with a fish eating vegan than a million plain jane vegans any day!

October 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

Oops, I used a double negative that didn't make any sense. "..my lack of hating cooking" -- or rather, I just hate cooking.

October 23, 2008 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I get so mad when I see the lack of product out there for the veg lifestyle. It would be so nice to see at least one box of vegan cupcakes at the grocery store. Or those vegan marshmallows you can only get online. Is it really that hard? Am I asking for too much here?

Though I am not a vegetarian, I loooove cooking vegan dishes. I think the recipes are very interesting and fun. I can see how Anthony gets into it.

On the subject of taste buds - I really enjoy veggie sausage and "crumbles" and it didn't take every long to make that adjustment. Boca does a great job, I think. One of my meat-eating friends will only eat Boca's meatless Italian sausages. She thinks they taste better than real meat.

I guess life at Stop and Shop is better for veg folks than it was, say, 20 years ago. I bet you couldn't even get tofu back then. Now, you've got all kinds of choices (Though, why anyone would want to buy anything less than extra firm is beyond me. Gelatinous tofu is useless. And I don't want my tofu infused with anything, like garlic and herb. Eeeew.) Anyway, it is on the improve. You can buy soy milk at the regular grocery store and most big chains have a natural food section with a decent variety. Of course, you have to deal with the unusually high price tags - ugh.

I used to loathe cooking. My hatred of it introduced me to Peg Bracken, who I think was one of the earliest and lesser praised American feminists.

October 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home