Monday, April 6, 2009

Crazy New Life

Here is a breakdown of my crazy new life, so far.

Pluses:

- I love working in my own home, testing out new avenues for business, planning, creating and watching everything evolve.
- I get all giddy when an email arrives from a publication or event coordinator.
-I love that my schedule is flexible. I can be there for my mother, Jere, my family and my friends.
- I love that I am saving tons of money on gas and that I don't have to spend 3 hours a day in my car.
- I love that what I make is helping others by nourishing skin and taking stress out of their lives, momentarily.
- I love that my kitties can sit in my office while I work.
- I love that I can be myself in my business, infusing my products with my personality. I don't have to be someone else or pretend to like Michael Bolton to keep my job.
- Work doesn't feel like work. Not even this weekend when I had 2 events in Massachusetts, one ending at 10 PM on Saturday, the next starting at 9 AM on Sunday.

Minuses:

- I don't really punch out. If I'm not making product, I am marketing, researching, taking inventory, corresponding or forecasting. My head is constantly a-buzz. I don't mind it, but it's funny to watch a Corona commercial and see two people relaxing on the beach. This seems pretty foreign to me. I hope I feel differently this summer when we jaunt over to Block Island. I will try to leave the soap at home. Maybe.
- Not knowing exactly how the business is going to take shape is a little stressful, too, but it's exciting at the same time. I am trying to take any worries I have about money and channel them into productive tasks. I am lucky to have found a wonderful consultant who is going to help me with my business plan. I love the Small Business Development Center! It's a free service that offers real, tactile consultation. Their mission is fostering and growing small business at the local level. My consultant makes me feel like I have a partner.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

Oooooo la la! I'm totally giddy for you as well.

Just think that in the future you'll get so successful that you can pay other people to do some of that work!

April 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I already wish I had another soapmaker on board!

April 7, 2009 at 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home