Saturday, November 3, 2007

Soap Update

I did it. I just bought a million scents online. I also bought lye. Can't make soap without it. I've got a lot of stuff left on my list to go, but I think I got the ones that you can't buy in stores out of the way. I know what you're thinking: But, you can buy Red Devil Lye at your nearest grocer! I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this product has been discontinued.

I was going to jump right into a cold process method, but I decided against it after doing some research on the hot process (not to be confused with melt and pour, which is what I have been doing up to now). With hot process soap making, you are still starting from scratch, but since you are cooking your soap, the saponification process is sped up and you don't have to wait 2-4 weeks of curing before your soap can be used. It's actually the most ancient soap making method known to man. So, hot process it is.

I have the basic descriptions for 20 varieties of soap and I have to say that I am very excited about starting this whole thing. I am going to make these plus some bath bombs in time for the holidays. I am also going to start an online store as soon as I have the products available, so look out for that. I will keep you apprised of my progress.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home