Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Night in the New Casa

So, we slept in the new house last night. Since our sofa bed was delivered on Sunday, it was pretty easy to crash there. I went straight after work and, after picking up an inexpensive manual push mower from a Craigslist seller in North Providence, I went right to work in the basement. I ripped up the bad, dank-smelling carpet, scraped up the glue and foam-like residue, and swept. Scraped, swept, scraped, swept. I should take some pics so I can document the progress. I read today that the foam-like stuff comes up much easier if you wet it first. It also cuts down on the amount of dust flying around. Jere showed up around 10 PM, just about when I was fully covered in basement floor stuff and ready for a shower (BTW - the shower works well and we have a nice, deep tub). He is mowing our lawn today and hopefully scraping more of the basement floor. The plan is to get down to bare cement, then cover it with a nice gray floor paint. The walls - which are wood paneled - will be painted white. The trim will be either gray or red. Phase one is just about complete!

It was cool to sleep in the house, but I must admit that I didn't sleep well. I was actually cold. The windows were open (because it's summer) and I forgot a blanket. I remembered sheets and pillows, thank goodness. I was also terrified that I wasn't going to wake up on time. I set my phone alarm for 6, not knowing how long it was going to take to get to Waltham. I left Providence at 7:15 and got to work in an hour. The commute was moving along swimmingly until I hit 128. There was a broken down vehicle in the far left lane and it had an impact. I got in the office early despite it. I think I could probably leave at 7:30 everyday and make it in well before 9. So, this means getting up at 6:30 everyday, which isn't too bad. I still need to find a decent coffee spot on the way, but it looks like it's going to be Cumberland Farms for a while. They have decent varieties, but no ambience. The bonus is that they also sell gas, so I can do one-stop shopping.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Erika said...

This might be heresy for a Dunkin fan like yourself, but give Honey Dew Donuts a try if you live near one. (the only one I know of in Providence is on North Main). They really do have good coffee. And it's cheap!

August 20, 2008 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I love Honey Dew, but all I've seen on Broad Street so far are meat markets, liquor stores and gas stations. Nothing in the way of coffee establishments. At least not on my drive from Homer Street to Praire. But Cumberland Farms has a decent selection.

Honey Dew makes a great coconut coffee.

August 20, 2008 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger DJDiva said...

128 is the worst highway - you definitely need a coffee to drive up that road!

August 21, 2008 at 5:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Congrats to you and Jere! We're going to miss having you so close to NH!

August 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks - we'll miss being so close, too, but we will definitely still be up for game nights :)

August 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home