Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Results Are In!

The results of my mom's latest tests are in and they are very good. Though the cancer in her lungs is "stable" (meaning no further growth, but no improvement), the disease in her lower back is beginning to eradicate. (To follow up on an earlier post, the ER doctor was totally full of it and there was never a period where the cancer suddenly left her lungs) We are happy as clams! She is going to cut the chemo back to once every three weeks so that she can enjoy one solid week a month of feeling good. She called me this morning to find out if I knew anyone who could get her some reefer. This was recommended by her oncologist to fight the chemo-induced nausea she's battling with. Unfortunately for her, I don't dabble in that kind of stuff. I bought pot one time in college and felt so awkward doing it. Mom's oncologist said that he could prescribe a pill form of the drug, but it wouldn't be as helpful as smoking the real McCoy. So if you all know anyone that can perform this discreet service ...

The MOBA is branching out! Not only do they have a permanent collection of shoddy classics in Dedham, but the Somerville Theater now houses a new crop of gaudy goodness! Furthermore, the MOBA has recently published a book, cataloging their priceless works. It is a must have!

Speaking of publishing, Jere and his mom's book has had it's publication date pushed out to October 15th. Fear not, Red Sox mystery enthusiasts ... it's worth the wait!

Onto gripes (which I am becoming quite good at these days). High gas prices have forced folks into a greener lifestyle, meaning that a lot of people have decided to cast their cars aside in favor of pedaling their bikes from point A to point B. This is great news for the environment and helpful in cutting back some demand for oil. I hold these intentions in the highest regard, especially since I am still shoving gas into my vehicle, thus perpetuating our dependence on the stuff. With all the new bike riders on the road, I think a refresher course re: the rules of the road is in order. Either riders don't know or know and choose to ignore the basic rules of the road. Here they are, lest we forget:

  • Ride only one person on a regular bicycle; seat facing forward; not on handlebars.
  • Ride with at least one hand on the handgrips at all times, do not hold packages.
  • Ride one person to a bike unless it is designed for more passengers.
  • Bicycles are vehicles like cars, and follow all traffic rules.
  • Ride to the right side of the roadway.
  • Ride a bike path adjacent to a roadway, if one is provided.
  • Exercise safety; wear a helmet and give the right-of-way to pedestrians on sidewalks.

I have never witnessed a person on a bike stop at a traffic light and wait the full amount of time required. I rarely see cyclist using proper hand signals. Often times, bikes come out of no where and sit in my blind spot on the wrong side of the road. I don't want to have to accidentally injure anyone. Why, oh, why are people hell bent on not using common sense? There is nothing to physically protect a cyclist from danger (and, more often than not, their own naiveté). I hope that the police have raised this concern and notify people on bikes when they break the rules. Are the not subjected to the same moving violations as anyone in a car?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger -WGM said...

Awesome news about your Mom! I wish I could offer some assistance on the spleef but I think the guy I used to get the stuuf from back in 1980 hung up his dime bags for a job on Wall Street :-)

Amen on the bike rules - working in the P's R of Cambridge, most bicyclists feel road rules do not apply. While I am in the process of trying to join their ranks and use my honkin SUV less, they need to remember that red lights apply to them too, so don't try to tempt fate by going up against my car or you will lose...every time! And I don't want that on my conscience!
-joey the greyhound

August 8, 2008 at 6:51 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

It's really dangerous! I honestly think a lot of people are just plain uneducated about the rules.

August 8, 2008 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

I'm so glad to hear the good news about your mom! Sorry I'm not able to help in the reefer department either.

August 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hee, hee. Thanks, Kara :)

August 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

I grew weed in my garden once (and have a picture to prove it!) Unfortunately, that was long ago. I have a friend in FL that could hook your mom up but I doubt that would help you. I'll see what I can do on my next visit...

August 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks, Nora! We have a few feelers out, too. Anything you find out would be appreciated.

(I hope the narcs aren't bugging my blog!)

August 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

GO MOM! HELL YEAH!

August 17, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home