Saturday, September 6, 2008

Block Island is Amazing

I grew up a stone's throw from the Rhode Island border, but never ventured to Block Island. We used to take the ferry to the Vineyard and tootle around there. 

I had no idea what I was missing! We spent the entire day there yesterday. The day did not start out very promising as there was heavy fog and a bit of a chill at Point Judith, where the high speed ferry took off. But, just like a movie, the sun burned through and a beemed on the island just as we docked. 

We rented bikes and cycled up to the northern point, picked up a few rocks (Jere's mom tells us that all the old New England town's cobblestone streets were created using rocks from Block Island). We then biked back, but not before swimming and lounging on what I can only describe as the most beautiful and smooth beach I have ever experienced in New England. And no bugs ruining it for us! Afterwards, we took a taxi to the Mohegan Bluffs and witnessed the beauty of the cliffs on the other side of the island. We ended the trip with an awesome meal at one of the inns near the ferry and a little bit of shopping. Here are the pics:



[pre-trip fog]

[the tip of the island from a distance]















Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Looks like a beautiful day! I'm slightly envious. I never get to the beach much anymore, and I miss it. (And I'm not very far!) A lake just isn't the same.

September 6, 2008 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Great pics! This is definitely on my list of things to do- I've never been there and have always wanted to go. What a lovely day.

September 6, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

Beautiful pictures. Maybe I will check out Block Island on my next northern trip. It sounds like you guys had a great time.

September 7, 2008 at 4:47 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks, all! Your cousin is responsible for all the great pics - he is a great photographer. I can't wait to go back!

September 7, 2008 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

I like the picture of your backpacks nuzzling.

September 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home