Saturday, September 13, 2008

So, this is what I've been missing!

For the last 6 years or so, I've been without a land line. It was done to avoid the duplicity of paying two phone bills. I survived perfectly fine with my "cell phone only" lifestyle. With the recent move, we decided to get a analog phone for the house. This is mainly for Jere, who refuses to get a cell phone (bless his heart).

It seems I've had a nice six year vacation from telemarketers. I've discovered, however, that on top of the annoyance of their solicitation, they are now scaring the hell out of people. Yesterday morning, I ran to the phone only to listen to a guy name Jeff or Josh tell me that I had six thousand dollars worth of outstanding credit card debt! I'm sure most of you are familiar with this routine by now, but this is all new to me! I panicked. I stayed on the line and complained to the operator. She finally said, "M'am, we don't have any information about your credit." Are you kidding me with this?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

Holy cow! We have a land line because we have DSL and are therefore forced into land line world. (Stupid FIOS is only available in Greenwich, CT at this time!)

But I learned on day 1 of having it that the ringer needed to be shut off. However, with Jere relying on the phone line for his communication needs, I suppose that would not work for you guys.

I know Jere is anti-cell phone but Anthony and I have a family plan with the lowest amount of minutes available since Anthony doesn't like talking on the phone, and I don't talk to anyone on the phone except my mom every day. It works out perfectly. Jere could leave his cell phone in his car for emergencies but never use it otherwise and you could use your phone as you do now!

Jere wouldn't even have to give out the number to anyone. He could use it just to call out in case of an emergency. Just sayin'.

Oh, and I love that you are regularly using the tag, "Things that are bullshit." You're so cute.

September 13, 2008 at 7:06 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

You need to register your number with the "do not call" registry. I'm not sure of the web address but its maybe www.donotcallregistry.org or .com. Google it and stop the bullshit.

September 13, 2008 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Caitlin - We've talked about sharing minutes. I think he should have a cell phone with a very basic plan for emergency purposes. A little while back, we blew out a tire on a stretch of 95 in CT (the roadside assistance guy told us that it was nicknamed "The Death Strip"). Had it not been for my cell phone, our experience would have been much, much worse. Glad you like the tag.

Nora - We are so doing this asap. These people are ruthless!

September 14, 2008 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Jenks said...

The most tedious telemarketers are the recorded messages where some guy starts talking, kind of coughs and says, "Ahem, excuse me"... I suppose to make it seem more 'live'?

Generally they want you to get satellite TV or an extended warranty on your vehicle.

September 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home