Thursday, October 23, 2008

Providence, You're My Home

Well, we've been in our new home for a couple of months now. Things aren't the same as when I was a kid. Here are few things I've noticed about the "new" Providence, so far:

Meat Markets
All my life, I've always thought of a meat market as a place where Sam the Butcher works. But then they sort of went away when grocery stores expanded their meat departments. It's also a figure of speech. "Oh, Mah-gie, don't go thay-ah! It's a wicked meat maaaahkit!" Well, much to my shock, Providence is riddled with places called meat markets. Maybe they are more like convenience stores or little mini groceries. I am not epi-curious about them.

Downcity
This is a term that the locals use instead of "downtown." You know what? I thought it had potential to be a little annoying, but I actually kind of like it.

Very Slow Drivers
I am a woman of little patience and no one in Providence seems to be in a hurry to get anywhere. This is probably good for me. I need to slow down and maybe not listen to my music at such high volumes in the car. There are nice big turning lanes in the middle of a lot of main streets and I think this is rather convenient. Jere hates it. He also hates the jughandles in New Jersey. I love those things! How can you not? I used to live right next to one in the town of Mapleshade. Word to the wise: If you are under 30, you have no business living in Mapleshade.

Spanish Food Trucks
When Stacia came to visit, she said that they all over in the greater LA area. I had never seen them before, but you know, Boston is Crackerville. These trucks have a flag in the back alerting the masses as to whether or not they are serving food from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Peru, the DR, etc.

Diversity
Hands down, much more diverse than Boston. Big, big points there.

Home of Spike's
Davis Square in Somerville and the corner of Boylston and Mass Ave are the only Spikes locations in the Boston area (to my knowledge). Jere and I are very fond of their veggie dogs, which they offer in place of meat dogs and in any of their varieties. We went to one in Cranston and the owner was there with the 3rd generation Spike bulldog who was smelling around for a free floating french fry. So, we sort of surmised that Spike's is a Rhode Island deal.

And, Dunkin Donuts Arena or what ever you call yourself now - you don't fool me! You'll always be the Civic Cent-ah! I saw a lot of concerts there when I was a kid, including Brian Adams. I was about 13 years old and he was in the middle of his "Reckless" tour. (I wish I could say that my first concert experience was not so lame, but this is all I've got.) Anyway, I went with Chrissy, a friend of my dad's colleague. All of a sudden, Chrissy turned to me and said, "I think I smell pot!" Of course, I didn't know what the hell she was talking about. Is that what pot is? It was the smell that was in my living room all the time. This is the first time I realized my dad wasn't like other dads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home