Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Are You Into Chatting or Not?

I don't know why, but when it comes to getting my hair done (or nails, or whatever), I am not big on conversation. My current stylist understands this. She's not huge on it, either, so we keep it friendly, but pretty business-like. I've had stylists in the past who weren't as well matched with me on this front. Once, I had some woman telling me her entire life story, including bits about an abusive ex-husband who was attempting to molest her children. Do I want to hear about this? Another time, I got an earful about my stylist's waning sex life. She owned the place and eventually, her husband "popped in" to drop off their son. Awkward.

I always had this idea that when you go in for a cut (or manicure or massage), you fill out a little card and on that card there are 2 boxes. One box says, "I love to talk!" next to it. The other one says, "Not today. I've got a headache." That way, the stylist isn't sitting there feeling you out the whole time or dumping his or her problems on you. Does this idea make me a bad person?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenks said...

The past few stylists I've had can barely speak English. While it makes it difficult to get the exact cut I want, I generally only hear hair dryers and scissor-snipping in lieu of yakkity.

I do need to brush up on my Spanish hairstyling terms. Come se dice "layers"?

March 14, 2007 at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home