Wednesday, February 21, 2007

El Guapo

I am fortunate enough to work for a company with lots of Red Sox connections and what-not. It all started when my company president, Marie Brown, launched a subsidiary called, "Brown House Books." Our first publication, a children's book called 86 Years: The Legend of the Boston Red Sox, was a huge success. It celebrated the 2004 World Champions, as well as provided a brief history of the team to kids. We received testimonials from Jim Rice, Johnny Damon (before he became a robot mutant), Stephen King and Tim Wakefield. Jason Varitek touted it during last year's Verizon Literacy Program and it won! One of my coworkers, who used to tend bar part time at Red Line in Harvard Square, handed a copy of the book off to one of Ben Affleck's friends (and frequenter of the bar). The friend gave it to Ben as a shower gift for his little girl, Violet. It then made it into the pages of People magazine. We are all very proud of this publication.

It seems that we have come to Chapter 2 in the Red Sox history of Brown Publishing Network. One of our editorial directors has a son who works as the marketing manager for The Nashua Pride. They just signed Rich Garces to a deal for at least one year. El Guapo wants to pitch again in the majors at some point. Evidently, he got his weight down to 230, so I think he's serious. I really liked that guy and I'm glad he's trying to make a come back. I wonder if this gives me any privilege, should I decide to get out to one of the games and watch him pitch. Preferably in killer seats!

I guess Jeter and A-Rod are no longer best buds. I saw that coming a mile away. When the Yanks first signed Alex, someone (I forget who - a New Jersey sports writer, I think) was quoted as saying that "A-Rod to the Yankees is like Bill Gates winning the Power Ball." I knew that the Yankees were due for the consequences of baseball hubris at that point. And so it began. I also remember thinking that there was going to be some serious tension between he and Jeter, despite the happy faces and hugs. At the time, I thought that Rodriguez was going to outshine Jeter and that Steincrabber was going to switch them, positionally. Funny enough, A-Rod just totally imploded. Anyway, I am sure that his lackluster performance has something to do with the "coolness" of their friendship. Maybe Derek thinks that it's going to rub off or something. Whatever.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Nashua Pride is a Can-Am league team. Not at all a Red Sox minor league team, as I incorrectly posted before. My bad, fo' shizzle.

February 23, 2007 at 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home