Wednesday, January 10, 2007

G.W. Poophead

Part of me really wants to hear Bush's speech tonight. It's supposed to be one of those "jig is up" type deals. Honest but still hopeful about "victory" in Iraq (whatever that's supposed to mean). I am curious about the new strategy, though I know that it involves an increase in the number of troops (or surge, the latest buzzword) followed by a lot of finger crossing. He is supposedly going to present several benchmarks.

*Yawn*

The truth is, I can't stand the sound of his voice, so I will need to hear analysis on NPR tomorrow. And hopefully, they'll keep the sound clips to a minimum.

I just see the Iraq "war" as an oozing, pus-filled, self-inflicted wound that won't respond to antibiotics. There aren't any quick fixes. And as much as I would love to see our troops begin to pull out, we're in a unique position of being damned either way. Worse, we did it to ourselves. I could go on and on, but I won't. Suffice it to say, I am pessimistic and skeptical about it. I predict another 5-10 years of occupation. I mean, seriously, the skeletal Iraq government is on super shaky paws. Not only do they have their hands full with keeping the violence to a minimum, but they're expected to yank a working democratic plan off the shelf, then enforce it? Come on!

Alright, this is me shutting up.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jere said...

I think what a lot of people forget is the fact that this is an illegal, pre-emptive war against a country that did nothing to us and wasn't a threat to us. So we end up talking about what to do when the only right thing to do is hold these liars accountable for their war crimes. Bush has yet another chance to make it stop and instead he puts 20,000 MORE kids' lives at stake, along with all the Iraqis who will also die because of this.

Protest in your area tomorrow, Thursday 1/11: "Anti-war Protest-Boston Common @Park St. 4-6PM This event will be followed by a demonstration against Guantanamo in Copley Sq. @ 6PM."

January 10, 2007 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Jere said...

That sounded really pissy. But, hey, I'm pissed about this.

January 11, 2007 at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home